I guess I've gotten a little behind in updating... I've been keeping pretty busy so far exploring the city, starting up classes, going shopping, etc.Friday we had orientation again, only this time it was at the actual school building where we have classes. Our school is situated in a very historic part of the city, right near the Torre de Oro, built in the 1200s, and not far from Seville Cathedral, Plaza de España, etc. I have to cross over the Guadalquivir River to get to school. Anyway, we had a culture 101 class to help us understand various things about this place we're living, which was very informative. We also registered for classes, and I was able to get into the classes that I had planned to take: Advanced Spanish Grammar, Spanish Art, Spanish Literature and History of Spanish Civilization.
After finishing registration, Katelin and I returned for lunch with Esperanza (pizza... the first one was pretty good, second one had ham and tuna--not my favorite!), and then we both took about a four hour siesta. We had not planned to sleep that long, but it just happened. I think my sleeping schedule has been a little messed up since arriving. And that night I was up almost all night because I took such a long nap. Ahh, gotta love jet lag.
Friday night I went to a pizza party with the rest of the students at a place called Sloppy Joe's. Guess you can't get much more American than that in Spain! Afterwards, a large group of us went to try to find this flamenco bar that we heard was really cool. We had some trouble finding it, but it was worth it, because the flamenco dancing was pretty cool to watch. Then we went to this cute little shop with pastries and ice cream.Saturday I went shopping with some friends. I left the house at about 9:45 a.m. and didn't get back until about 8:30 p.m., and I was walking almost that entire time! I would be really curious to know how many miles it
actually was. I went with some people to this market run by gypsies... while I was there I got the scarf that I'm wearing in the picture above. Such scarves are incredibly popular here in Spain. I also walked around with some people to many interesting places in Seville such as Seville Cathedral and La Giralda, El Centro (with lots and lots of shops), etc. We got tapas (Spanish appetizers) at this really cool restaurant on the plaza with a breathtaking view of Seville Cathedral and La Giralda. It was quite incredible!Sunday I visited a church up the road from me. It was a tiny congregation (as are most Protestant churches in Spain), and somehow a lot of people from our school had independently decided to
go to this particular church, so we pretty well filled up their small building. I really enjoyed the service though, especially singing the Spanish worship songs, and I was excited because I could understand just about everything in the songs. The sermon was a little harder to follow, but I picked up some of it.Classes began today. I think they will be challenging but good... They are taught entirely in Spanish. I particularly like my Grammar and Art teacher, Carmen.
IT looks like you are having so much fun in Spain! :) What a wonderful experience for you!
ReplyDelete